Monday, July 12, 2010

The philosopher.

Nietzsche at 2 am has captured my soul:

"Sigh- I caught this insight on the way and quickly seized the rather poor words that were closest to hand to pin it down lest it fly away again. And now it has died of these arid words and shakes and flaps in them-and I harldy know anymore when I look at it how I could ever have felt so happy when I caught this bird."- Nietzsche, The Gay Science

Oh how often I feel like this. Such brilliant ideas so disgraced by such tacky words. Language for all it's glory, can never truly capture the radiance of a well crafted idea.

The philosopher suffers greatest and there, it is also most blessed.

1 comment:

Mary said...

This is the tragedy of our flawed understanding! Most of what I write and say is such a pale and soiled version of what I really wanted to share. Glorious quote.